Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GearCity 1.12 Progress
Chassis Specs have been retouched.
Frame Length has been changed to wheelbase to avoid some confusion...
Frame Width has been changed to axle track to avoid even more confusion...
All numbers including supported engine size and weights have been adjusted to give more realistic statistics. Hopefully I will not have to tweak these numbers again...

I move next to the Engine Specs, where I have a lot more work to do...
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(02-01-2014, 09:29 PM)Eric.B Wrote: Chassis Specs have been retouched.
Frame Length has been changed to wheelbase to avoid some confusion...
Frame Width has been changed to axle track to avoid even more confusion...
All numbers including supported engine size and weights have been adjusted to give more realistic statistics. Hopefully I will not have to tweak these numbers again...

I move next to the Engine Specs, where I have a lot more work to do...

Great! Chassis length always confused me a bit. Wheelbase is much easier to understand and work with.

One thing disturbed me a little bit: It is almost impossible to implement large engines in a chassis as the game tells me that i have no chassis long enough. With a 5500 mm chassis (extremly long) there will only fit about a 6 litre engine. But I early days we had engines something strange as 8 liter with 2 cylinders (Daimler GB!) in 5 meter cars. Perhaps you could have a look at this.
(02-02-2014, 02:15 AM)Celeste Wrote: Great! Chassis length always confused me a bit. Wheelbase is much easier to understand and work with.

One thing disturbed me a little bit: It is almost impossible to implement large engines in a chassis as the game tells me that i have no chassis long enough. With a 5500 mm chassis (extremly long) there will only fit about a 6 litre engine. But I early days we had engines something strange as 8 liter with 2 cylinders (Daimler GB!) in 5 meter cars. Perhaps you could have a look at this.
I dont want to entirely derail the thread, but i think i may have made that kind of vehicle in 1911.
I managed to make a concept vehicle with that kind of engine size in 1910/11, the largest engine it can fit with maximum length/width and engine length/width sliders is 1371Lx1574W.
I put a 8.5L H8 in it (as big as i could make it)
The chassis itself was listed as 7000mm length, but the bugs from the length/width of the R&D screen make it hard to tell the length of the resulting vehicle.
I think its about 5.5m, but that could easily be wrong.
Any chance for an approximate eta on 1.12? =)
Very rough is fine. One word, days, weeks, months as all I'm looking for. Super keen to make super cars and trying to decide how much effort I should put into my mod cuz it sounds like you're rebalancing a lot of the stuff I'm moding anyway?
I already warned you that I was doing a lot of stuff in your mod Tongue
(In fact I wrote a todo list somewhere on this forum! Smile )

ETA: No more than a month and a few days, no less than 2 weeks.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
(02-04-2014, 08:22 PM)Eric.B Wrote: I already warned you that I was doing a lot of stuff in your mod Tongue
(In fact I wrote a todo list somewhere on this forum! Smile )

ETA: No more than a month and a few days, no less than 2 weeks.

No wukkers!
That's long enough for me to still want to do a couple if things in my mod.

I don't recall the to-do list. Either I missed it or I've had nowhere near enough sleep lately. Actually, the latter is true either way =p

No matter, the mod is half about fixing my little gripes and half about getting a bit of practice in for later!
Alright engine specs have been completed.

Bore and Stroke have been increased to allow you to almost make something as large as the fiat s76... But not quite. It should still be enough to cover most HUGE bored motors of the early years while still covering the smaller bore/strokes used today...

Length and Width have also been reduced slightly. Bringing it nearly in-line with mid 60's engine dimensions (when using the same bore/strokes) I couldn't find any data for engine dimensions pre WW2, but the numbers are close for 1960s and greater.

HP, Torque, and RPM's are now closer to historical values for <1930, I haven't tested this in later game years.

RPM specs has been completely rewritten. Old RPM's were way off historical max values.

Weight remains the same.

Estimated Fuel Mileage has been completely rewritten, values seem correct however more adjusting will have to be done when combined with a gearbox and stuck on the car. Values were not tested post 1930s

I now will take care of gearbox specs which shouldn't take long. I probably will not make a post about it when completed. Then I will take care of vehicle specs...

I am halfway done with RnD in the manual. Full focus will go into the manual once specs are completed.
Sounds pretty darn good!
Pretty excited for this patch!!
Vehicle Specs have been tweaked and should be finished.

I've tested to see if I can match specs of real world vehicles between 1900 and 1930. I've been successful in getting all the specs within 10% of the historical values. The small variation is to be expected since I didn't pull up things like gear ratios of the real vehicles etc.

I've fixed the top speed bug as well as the fuel mileage bug.

Some incorrect spec bugs in the showroom has also been fixed.

And I've taken care of some incorrect text in places and have removed the PS power ratings...

There is some more minor clean up work to be done. Then I'll switch to finishing the manual and integrating inside the game. So stay tuned. Wink
The raw text rough draft of the manual has been sent to the editor. So while that is being mulled over I've began working on the dreaded random office/end turn crash bug. And I think I've actually made some progress! We'll see...

I will probably work on bugs for the next few days. Starting Tuesday I'll begin the audio tutorial system. Hopefully I can at least get the framework up for it. The manual should be back by then, and I can get started with formatting, final edit, and integrating it into the game. I'll clean up any ~minor~ bugs I can and we'll have 1.12! biggrin