Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TESTING]Displacement having little effect in Single Cylinder
Playing 1.13

Compare these two screenshots from a 1900 game.

Notice that all ive done is move the displacement slider from the right to the left.
With the current settings(low tech sliders), i can get the same amount of HP (5HP) from 730cc as i can from 2146cc.

I understand that single cylinders weren't efficient in larger sizes for a number of reasons, but that's a 2x increase in volume. I would expect it to have some effect.

Edit:

Weirdly, the displacement goes up to 6HP at 1.6L then down to 5HP again when it gets smaller.

Edit: 2 Ive managed to narrow the part of this bug where HP goes up with less displacement then down again.
It only occurs when you move all the tech sliders to the left.
With them centered, it doesnt seem to happen.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Increasing stroke decreases RPMs, this probably throws it out of whack for single cylinder motors. Try to replicate this issue with larger engines. (Like an inline 4)

You could also try keeping the stroke the same but increasing the bore. See if that has the same effect.

I can't test the game at this second, sorry...
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(03-31-2014, 11:06 PM)Arakash Wrote: Weirdly, the displacement goes up to 6HP at 1.6L then down to 5HP again when it gets smaller.

This is actually fairly reasonable. There is always a sweet spot. Either side if it you will loose power from either just from burning less fuel and having a shorter arm to push on or by just losing efficiency and rpm from being too big.

Having said that, engine power outputs still need some adjustments. I agree with you there. Small single cylinder engines are still too powerful.
Ive managed to narrow the part of this bug where HP goes up with less displacement then down again.
It only occurs when you move all the tech sliders to the left.
With them centered, it doesnt seem to happen.

(03-31-2014, 11:22 PM)Eric.B Wrote: Increasing stroke decreases RPMs, this probably throws it out of whack for single cylinder motors. Try to replicate this issue with larger engines. (Like an inline 4)

You could also try keeping the stroke the same but increasing the bore. See if that has the same effect.

I can't test the game at this second, sorry...
Ive justed tested increasing the bore.
The bore causes a flat increase in HP.
The stroke seems to actually reduce HP beyond a certain point.
So in practice.
139mm bore
93mm stroke
has more HP than
139mm stroke
139mm bore

Note to all: as im not familiar with the technicals of engines, im not making a comment on whether its plausible/realistic, im just going to post things that i perceive to be odd/strange game(probably bugged) behavior.
Ill let you all fight it out over what is working or not.
(04-02-2014, 10:17 PM)Arakash Wrote: 139mm bore
93mm stroke
has more HP than
139mm stroke
139mm bore

139mm is a fairly long stroke.
Such an engine should produce more torque but actually producing less peak power seems reasonable to me, especially for a low quality engine.

I can see how this would seem counter intuitive but:
Power = torque x rpm
And
Torque = displacement x efficiency with stroke having some nonlethal effect.
While increasing stroke increases volume and thus generally, torque. It's combined effect on efficiency and rpm WILL reduce peak power beyond a certain length. What that length is depends on a lot of other factors.
I've adjusted the stroke effects on torque. I believe this should fix this issue. If not please let me know. As such I'm marking this thread as testing for 1.14.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski