Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[FIXED]Initial Thoughts/Suggestions
I agree that most of the tech dates look pretty accurate, and while I don't want to be too uppity about it, I am a historian of science and technology, so I do have a degree of knowledge here. The three bank W engines come out in 1906, and the later 4 bank ones in 2001. I was talking about the 3 bank engines when I mentioned the possibility of an 18 cylinder model. This was experimented on by Volkswagen when they were building early concepts of cars that would eventually lead to the Veyron. They scrapped the 18 cylinder design in favor of a 16 cylinder four bank engine, but I imagine under different circumstances the 18 may have been viable.

At any rate, it's true, I have passing knowledge about editing .xml files, and I may experiment with it, but I would be worried about introducing accidental problems and balancing issues with the game. It may not be any trouble at all, I simply don't know.

With the engine thing I mentioned, it's not that I can't build a V16 that would potentially fit my cars, it's just that I could potentially build an engine roughly 3 times as large as I can mount. The V16 seems to max at a length of 168 inches, but the the longest engine mounting on my ladder frame chassis was something like 62 inches. Interestingly, the carriage chassis seemed to allow the same size, and in the .xml I'm not seeing a correlative stat to size. Perhaps it's connected to one of the others, but I'm not sure. Perhaps I ought to experiment with that as well, if I have time. Maybe you never intended for folks to use 20 liter engines. I admit it's a bit ridiculous, but stuff like that I love.

As an aside to the engines, I have noticed that when I'm designing an engine there's no torque readout. There's HP and PS, which strikes me as odd since both measure horsepower.

I did find the tool to disable car production, which was helpful. Unfortunately, though, the old models still clutter up the sales menus. This does make sense, however, since it is possible to have cars left over from old production runs if you made more than you sold. Maybe a separate option to remove them from sales would be in order? At any rate, keep up the good work.

Messages In This Thread
[FIXED]Initial Thoughts/Suggestions - by Arquibus - 10-09-2013, 12:21 AM
RE: Initial Thoughts/Suggestions - by MrX_ua - 10-09-2013, 05:19 PM
RE: Initial Thoughts/Suggestions - by Eric.B - 10-09-2013, 05:55 PM
RE: Initial Thoughts/Suggestions - by Arquibus - 10-10-2013, 01:05 AM
RE: Initial Thoughts/Suggestions - by Eric.B - 10-10-2013, 12:13 PM
RE: Initial Thoughts/Suggestions - by Arquibus - 10-10-2013, 04:06 PM
RE: Initial Thoughts/Suggestions - by Eric.B - 10-14-2013, 10:33 AM
RE: Initial Thoughts/Suggestions - by Eric.B - 01-27-2015, 12:43 AM