Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engines are wierd
So, I revisited this game after a year... also got the "Automation: Game" and after I researched some I noticed the engines here are just a bit strange XD.

This game favors stroke heavy engines, while Automation and the real world seems to favor varying degrees of bore heavy engines. When I'm building a compact motor for example Bore size should be dominant if only slightly, but here stroke makes the most power dense engines.

So, for example a formula engine (based on a website I went to), currently has a tiny 1.6 L. v6 and it is a bore heavy engine. In fact as much as I know,  If you want the most potent sport engine that revs. super high you want a bore heavy engine. However here, if I want to make a "race engine" with poor dependability I just lower respective research in that field and make a compact 5000 cc engine with a long stroke (as bore size drastically increases weight). And stroke aside from lowering your RPMs, doesn't do much in terms of increasing weight. However in real life, this design would fail because you would be essentially be making a lazy 5L diesel that has excellent fuel eco/low end torque properties (i.e. less wear due to lower revs, better fuel effiency due to lower revs and better thermal dynamics... etc.). Actually if you look in the past, that's why the GT40 wound up beating everyone in the LeMans race, because it had a lazier 8 cylinder vs the tighter wound Ferrari engines which were higher rev'ing and if you don't know LeMans ( is more a endurance race than on based on speed, speed still matters though).

Thoughts?

Messages In This Thread
Engines are wierd - by Unavailableartist - 04-15-2018, 11:05 AM
RE: Engines are wierd - by Eric.B - 04-15-2018, 11:11 AM
RE: Engines are wierd - by Unavailableartist - 04-15-2018, 03:31 PM
RE: Engines are wierd - by Eric.B - 04-15-2018, 04:32 PM
RE: Engines are wierd - by Unavailableartist - 04-15-2018, 04:58 PM
RE: Engines are wierd - by Eric.B - 04-16-2018, 10:49 AM