Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto production, parts modification and sale price adjustment [1.22.2 SP1]
(10-31-2017, 10:27 AM)Rich Wrote: First of all Thank you for this gem, I really enjoy the whole experience of making cars and trying out different ideas with this game. I loved the old DOS game Detroit have really enjoyed this version of that concept.
Glad you're enjoying the game!

Quote:A post-design flag needs to be put in here and then add some time (much shorter but still at least some time to modify the parts and build the prototype).
Such flag already exists, I just need to increase the penalties drastically. And remove the ability to abuse it frequently. A delay for modification won't be implemented, however I can make it where you can only modify once every couple of years.

Quote:Also, if you add money as well as time but then have the time and money penalty go down for additional modifications if it is in production for a number of years it would more closely follow a refresh idea.
I think the opposite should be true (as it is now). The more you continue to modifying a component, the less returns you get and the price of modification goes up. Thus forcing the player to design a new component at some point rather than continuing to use the same component for the entire length of the game. If the modification costs were to go down each time, there would be less of an incentive to design a new part. The key is to make the first few modifications better than designing a new component. But after a few modifications, you should build a new component. A delay needs to be implemented to prevent over use of the modification system, and a steeper penalty for later modifications needs to be implemented.

Quote:The same idea could also be used with whole vehicles to update the styles and incorporate the new parts as part of one "model" update screen to compliment the idea of keeping the brand/model images going over the years, maybe even lock it down for a year or two between refreshes to the overall vehicle.
The vehicle modification system is handled via trims and new generations. This system will probably not be changed.

Quote:Another idea would be to add a post production step that would support dealer installed options and build to order requests.
This sort of request has been asked a few times. I wanted to avoid implementing a checkbox style system with hundreds of different options. Instead, we have abstracted all these things under sliders. If you increase interior materials, you use leather instead of cloth, if you increase technology in 1920, you'll have a heater instead of none. Etc. The slider positions is how you differentiate the trims. I won't be adding any sort of system beyond this for options.

Quote:Adding to the trim implementation but not requiring any new designs, simply having variant styles and options via the same way you modify parts now except it would add a little to accommodate the variant parts and other equipment and give you a per unit cost and the player in turn sets the price for the trim variant, as well as a base model production penalty to represent building the added parts and equipment for the variant/add on trim levels.
With the current system, as long as you're not changing much, you can produce a new trim in as little as month. Or if your base vehicle is under development, they will be finished at the same time. There won't be any system implemented that does not have a trim as a separate entity from the base model, thus we won't be implementing any sort of options system built into a single model.

Quote:The existing trim variants system is a bit limited to the idea of redesigning the base model and does not represent merely adding equipment or varying the appearance of the vehicle which makes sense for an engine upgrade but not for a different rims, more paint options and an upgraded radio etc.
Minor differences in trims is considered abstracted. Since little things like radios and pinstripes were dealer addons, installed at the dealership. And not manufactured differences in the models.  

Quote:Also regarding the designing of parts, I searched the forum and did not see a reference to saving parts like you can with bodies. I would love to have to only do some of my parts a few times and keep my favorites available for other games I want to play, I love being able to re-use my previously designed/tweaked body designs, and there have been a few engines and other parts that would be equally convenient.
This one is ticketed for v1.24: https://bitbucket.org/EricBJones/gearcit...externally

Quote:Again thanks for your efforts and I hope this game continues to grow in popularity and success.
Quite welcome, and thanks for the feedback! Sadly we're a bit too far into development for major changes. But fixing/implementing 2 out of the 3 issues isn't too bad. Wink
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski

Messages In This Thread
RE: Auto production, parts modification and sale price adjustment [1.22.2 SP1] - by Eric.B - 10-31-2017, 01:03 PM