Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto production, parts modification and sale price adjustment [1.22.2 SP1]
First of all Thank you for this gem, I really enjoy the whole experience of making cars and trying out different ideas with this game. I loved the old DOS game Detroit have really enjoyed this version of that concept. Now on to the observations I have noticed so far

I too have found the Modification system to be a little broken. The part that I thought was absurd was being able to put a design in motion and mod it before it was designed for WAY cheaper than tweaking the initial design. A post-design flag needs to be put in here and then add some time (much shorter but still at least some time to modify the parts and build the prototype). The main thing I found was the fact that if you speed up development time to make the same level as the modified part the cost was astronomically more. I like the idea of having to make the mod spend some money AND add a little time. Also, if you add money as well as time but then have the time and money penalty go down for additional modifications if it is in production for a number of years it would more closely follow a refresh idea. The same idea could also be used with whole vehicles to update the styles and incorporate the new parts as part of one "model" update screen to compliment the idea of keeping the brand/model images going over the years, maybe even lock it down for a year or two between refreshes to the overall vehicle.

Another idea would be to add a post production step that would support dealer installed options and build to order requests. Adding to the trim implementation but not requiring any new designs, simply having variant styles and options via the same way you modify parts now except it would add a little to accommodate the variant parts and other equipment and give you a per unit cost and the player in turn sets the price for the trim variant, as well as a base model production penalty to represent building the added parts and equipment for the variant/add on trim levels. This fills the gap between base and loaded as each "trim" could get these added features, also the would be primarily after the initial sale sales. for example if your base model had and extremely cheap purchase price but offered some expensive options then customers in wealthier cities might additionally purchase them. I think it would be a nice addition, and it it is kept abstract enough would not present to large of a hurdle to add it. Possibly add a tech research area that can be funded to unlock option levels as more tech toys are developed in the time line. This could also be influenced by your dealer network. I like this concept because it give a realistic representation to most trim variants. The existing trim variants system is a bit limited to the idea of redesigning the base model and does not represent merely adding equipment or varying the appearance of the vehicle which makes sense for an engine upgrade but not for a different rims, more paint options and an upgraded radio etc.

Also regarding the designing of parts, I searched the forum and did not see a reference to saving parts like you can with bodies. I would love to have to only do some of my parts a few times and keep my favorites available for other games I want to play, I love being able to re-use my previously designed/tweaked body designs, and there have been a few engines and other parts that would be equally convenient.

Again thanks for your efforts and I hope this game continues to grow in popularity and success.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Auto production, parts modification and sale price adjustment [1.22.2 SP1] - by Rich - 10-31-2017, 10:27 AM