Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Mod Tools Tutorial
(12-27-2017, 11:11 PM)Waffles Wrote: If I wanted to make some custom engine/valve layouts, what would be the best way to do that? Make a mod? or use the component editor? The wiki isn't fully fleshed out yet, I know it's hard enough to just make the game.

The wiki will be worked on after I finish the core maps. I was running a bit behind on those. But they're getting closer to being finished.

You would want to make a mod. In this case, Components Editor http://wiki.gearcity.info/doku.php?id=mo...entseditor
There is one problem however. Any new cylinder, valves, fuel types, and induction systems must be in the localization files. Or no cylinders, valves, fuel types, or induction systems can be localized. This makes it difficult to add new things. I plan on making a "base modification" file with a series of video tutorials after I complete the mod tool's wiki page.

Anyway, to do actually change stuff, Open the existing Components.xml and AIComponentsPopularity.xml files. Add in the layouts and valve systems you wish to use. Any valve types you add must be added to engine layouts they support. See 10-14: http://wiki.gearcity.info/doku.php?id=mo...ine_layout these either have to be all localized or none can be localized...

Save the file. Next you'll want to use the Mod Tool to make the mod. This is not documented yet, but in short you name the boxes, and check what you are modifying. Select the files that have changed and then export the mod. Take that folder and stick it in the /media/mods folder in the game. Finally select that mod from the external settings program.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski

Messages In This Thread
Quick Mod Tools Tutorial - by Eric.B - 02-10-2017, 11:11 AM
RE: Quick Mod Tools Tutorial - by Eric.B - 02-10-2017, 11:19 AM
RE: Quick Mod Tools Tutorial - by Waffles - 12-27-2017, 11:11 PM
RE: Quick Mod Tools Tutorial - by Eric.B - 12-27-2017, 11:39 PM