Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some suggestions for the car designing process
Hello,

I have played Detroit, Motor City, Automation and Gear City and I like the latter the best of them all, by a huge margin. Being a financial analyst by trade and freak of the automotive history (I even run a blog about it) I admire this game more than any other I have seen!!

Especially the process of designing the car is far better here than in Automation, because it clearly shows where the trade-offs are and allows to take them into account and express your intentions in a very clear way concerning the final product you want to get. In Automation you only input raw numbers and even though I have a good idea of what they mean, it is much trickier to get what you wanted. However, there are some features from Automation which I would be extremely glad to see here.

First of all, the different carb/injection systems should definitely be included, as well as the valvetrain type. We already have the cylinder head type and many engine types which are unavailable in Automation (only Wankel engines are missing so far, but I hope they are on the to-do-list), and these features are absolutely crucial for the engine design, especially that the fuel supply system is a very easy way of making several variants of the same engine (add an extra carb or make it bigger, replace it with a SPI or MPI, mechanical or electronic, etc.). I am NOT suggesting to copy too much from Automation (fuel mixture, ignition timing, etc - for me this stuff is for the mechanics in workshops and not for a company manager), but at least these things should be there.

Also air/water cooling could be nice, but it is less important than the fuel systems and valvetrain.

For gearboxes - the planetary and preselector types could perhaps be added, as they played an important role at certain stages of the automotive history (look at the Model T, for example).

For the chassis - the suspension types are fine (even though I have not studied the modern types too much), but the brakes could be added for selection. Mechanical/hydraulic, rear-only/4-wheel, simplex/duplex drums and finally solid/vented disks. That's all, without tweaking the number of calipers and disk diameters, as the sliders do the job just fine.

At later stages of the games some electronic systems could be added: ABS, traction control, ESP, etc. Should'nt be difficult to implement and would add a lot to the gameplay. Also the emmission controls and regulations, especially in some markets, could be added.

Bodies - for me there are less important, so the current system is OK. However, it would be nice to know that a new body type is coming. Recently I have ordered a design of a new model with an old body because I had no idea that a new one would be available very soon. Of course, we never know the future, but car bodies are not prepared in a second, so we should be informed that something is on the horizon.

Given that it is far from being completed yet, I would suggest the above additions - they are still possible, I guess, and would make the game so much better!! You are as near to perfection as I have seen so far, and there is really not much to do to reach it!!

Messages In This Thread
Some suggestions for the car designing process - by SzczepanKolaczek - 10-21-2015, 12:59 PM